What to Say When Discussing Marijuana with Teens
More than one in five parents of teens believe that what they say has little influence on whether their child will use drugs or alcohol.
Teens report their parents’ beliefs around drugs and alcohol have the most influence on their choices.
The conversation around marijuana and teenagers comes down to strong communication skills and sticking to the facts.
The 5 main points I stick to when discussing marijuana and teens are as follows:
1. Marijuana poses risks despite what teens or our culture may say or believe.
2. Data shows “marijuana is not as safe as it once was.”
3. Marijuana poses specific risks to the developing teen brain.
4. Marijuana poses specific risks to the teen’s mental health.
5. Earlier use of marijuana poses a greater risk for cognitive decline.
Watch other videos in our Psych in 60 series to learn more about marijuana and leave your questions in the comments below!