How Do I Talk About Marijuana with My Teen?
Here are a few tips to try and stick to when starting up a dialogue about marijuana.
1. Create an optimal time and environment. If your teen has done nothing wrong, nothing will sabotage a conversation like an ambush by parents.
2. Listen and ask questions. The more you speak and the longer you talk, the less your teen will listen or want to engage with you.
3. Validate your teen. Validation is essentially letting your teen know that what they think and feel makes sense given their perspective.
4. Share your thoughts and beliefs on the matter.
5. Validate beliefs and emotions, but enforce behaviors. You have the right to parent your child with the expectations that are clear, concise, and with potential incentive or consequences tied to them.
Watch other videos in our Psych in 60 series to learn more about marijuana and leave your questions in the comments below!