Since our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are all connected, one way to reduce anxiety symptoms is to work on challenging anxious thoughts. Challenging means to slowly chip away at potentially years and years of anxious thinking.
When faced with anxiety-provoking situations, your brain will automatically go a certain direction potentially without you even realizing. What challenges will do is to slow down the process and give your brain the chance to go in another direction.
The following are some strategies you can use to challenge your anxious thoughts. The idea is to keep an open mind and be willing to consider alternative thinking paths.
5 Ways to Challenge Anxious Thoughts
1. Examine Your Costs and Benefits of Anxious Thoughts
- How does this thought help you or hurt you?
- Does this thought motivate you or hold you back?
- How would the quality of your life improve if you didn’t have the thought?
2. Examine Evidence For and Against Anxious Thoughts
- What are the facts? What are my assumptions/predictions?
- How do I know for sure that my prediction will come true?
- What does my past experience tell me about the likelihood of my thoughts coming true?
3. Shift Your Perspective
- What might you say to a close friend/relative who was having the same thoughts as you?
- How might you view someone else who was exhibiting the same behavior as you?
4. Challenge Catastrophic Thinking
- How can you cope with… if it were to occur?
- Would…really be as terrible as you think?
- Does this really matter in the big scheme of things?
- Will you care about this a month from now?
5. Use Rational Coping Statements
- Anxiety is uncomfortable but not dangerous.
- People don’t seem to notice my anxiety symptoms.
- It would be manageable if…
- This does not equal that (one “C” on a test ≠ being a total failure)
- It will probably go okay (rather than…it probably won’t be a total disaster)
- The worst that can happen is….and I can live with that.
- The worst that can happen is…but that is unlikely.
Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your
site. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a
good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
Please blast me an email if interested. Kudos!
We are looking for writers! I will email you shortly! 🙂
Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this site.
We are glad to hear you benefit from our website! Thanks for commenting and recommending us to your friends!
I simply wished to thank you so much once more. I do not know the things that I would have sorted out without the type of strategies shown by you over such question. Certainly was a real alarming situation in my position, but coming across the expert technique you dealt with it made me to cry over happiness. I’m happier for the work and even trust you find out what an amazing job your are undertaking educating men and women by way of a site. Probably you’ve never encountered all of us.
Glad to hear this article was useful/helpful to you. We really appreciate your feedback. Let us know if there is any content you’d like to see more of in the future!