Drug and alcohol use is a scary proposition for parents. We cringe at the idea of our children engaging in adult behavior and worry about the type of kids that regularly engage in drinking or drug use.
If we are not careful, the topic of drugs and alcohol can fuel parents to be fearful and reactionary in their approach.So, how does a parent go about tackling the topic of drug and alcohol in an informed, a proactive, and preventative manner?
What Will I Learn?
- Current substance use trends among today’s teens
- Understanding the unique risks associated with substance use during the teen years
- Risk factors that increase the likelihood of teens developing abuse or addiction problems
- Protective and prosocial factors that help protect teens from developing substance use problems
- Tips and strategies for parents
- Tips for talking about substance use
- Tips on what to avoid when talking about substance use
About Jonathan Hetterly, LPC
Jonathan Hetterly is a licensed professional counselor. He specializes in helping teen and young adult men navigate the challenges they face in life. Jonathan is also a writer and his articles are regularly featured on PsychBytes.com and ShrinkTank.com.
He has contributed material to several books that explore the intersection of pop culture and psychology, including The Walking Dead Psychology, Star Wars Psychology, and Game of Thrones Psychology.